"KING'S TEIGNTON, or Teignton Regis , is a large and respectable village, 1½ mile N.E. of Newton Abbot, pleasantly situated on the north bank of the river Teign, where it has a commodious wharf, near two short canals , one extending to the railway of the Haytor Granite Works, and the other extending about four miles northward, to the vicinity of Chudleigh. . . .
Its parish contains 1498 souls, and 3982A. 3R. 16P. of land, including the hamlet of Preston , and many scattered houses. The parish abounds in fine potters' and pipe clay , of which about 50,000 tons are sent in barges down the Teign, to be shipped at Teignmouth for the Staffordshire and other potteries. . . . Lord Clifford is the lord of the manor of King's Teignton. . . . He is also owner of Gappah, Ware and a great part of the parish. . . .
The Church (St. Michael,) is a large and venerable structure, with a tower and five bells. It is in the perpendicular style of the 15th century, and its number of free sittings was increased in 1825 from 231 to 311. The vicarage , valued in K.B. at £28. 13s. 9d., and in 1831 at £421, is in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter, and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Woollcombe, jun., who has a good residence and 21½A. of glebe. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Latest Update - 16th February, 2015 - Meetings